The Richard T. Barker Friends of the Library, named to honor the University Librarian who served for 20 years in the 1970s and 1980s, is committed to promoting cultural and intellectual endeavors, and to enhancing the Library’s resources and services.
Why support the library?
The University Library is the academic hub of Appalachian State University, and its resources and services are crucial to the total learning experience. The Library receives more than 1.3 million visits a year, a testament to its importance to the University community and an indication of the challenges we face.
The following is a partial list of Friends activities:
- Acquisition of important new materials for the Library collection
- Year-round outreach programs for student, faculty, alumni, donors, and community members
- Annual reception for faculty who published a book in the previous year
- Reception for international students each spring and fall
- Hosting visiting writers and other special events
How you can help
The Library is grateful to have a loyal group of donors committed to supporting Belk Library and Information Commons. But we want to widen the circle to include you as a Friend. Increased private support is essential if we are to maintain the margin of excellence that we have worked so hard to build.
- Library newsletters and other publications
- Invitations to special events
- Library user’s card
- Ability to order books online from UNC Press in Chapel Hill at a 25% discount
- Recognition in Library publications
Join the Friends
- $35.00 Bookworm
- $50.00 Booklover
- $100.00 Bibliophile
- $250.00 Book Collector
- $500.00 Conservator
- $1,000.00 Author
- $2,500.00 Cupola Society*
*Cupola Society members receive rights and privileges extended to the University’s Chancellor’s Society, including a campus parking decal.
If you prefer to pay by check or payroll deduction, you may print this form (PDF) and return by mail.
Belk Library and Information Commons
Appalachian State University
P.O. Box 32026
Boone, NC 28608