What is ABC Express?
ABC (Asheville, Boone, Cullowhee) Express is a delivery service operated by the Western North Carolina Library Networdk (WNCLN) of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina University.
If you need a book, journal, or other library material that is at UNC-Asheville or Western Carolina University libraries, ABC Express can usually have it here for you within 3 days. Materials requested through ABC Express are delivered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
|Submit a request by||Available for pickup|
|Tuesday before 5:00 PM||Wednesday by 1:30 PM|
|Thursday before 5:00 PM||Friday by 1:30 PM|
|Sunday before 5:00 PM||Monday by 1:30 PM|
This schedule varies due to holidays and the academic calendar. Please check the ABC Express calendar for more information.
Who is eligible?
Students, faculty, and staff of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina University are eligible to use ABC Express. All other patrons should contact their public libraries.
How do I use ABC Express?
Follow these steps:
- Find the book/journal or film* in the online catalog and display the full record on the screen.
- Click on the "Request" button near the top of the screen.
- Enter name, ID number and pickup location, as prompted.
- Follow screen instructions to submit request.
*Only faculty are eligible to borrow DVD, films or videos on ABC Express. Due to consortia membership requirements, UNC-A faculty are not eligible to request SASASAAS films.
Is there a limit to the number of items I can request at one time?
Yes, the limit for active requests is ten (10) items. A request is active until the item is checked out to you or the request expires.
- Books, films, videos, and DVDs are held for 7 days at the Library Service Desk.
- The loan period for books is 3 weeks; renewals are allowed.
- The loan period for films/videos/DVDs is 7 days; no renewals allowed.
- Jounals: 48 hour use for faculty, staff, and students. Journals will be held at least 3 business days prior to being returned on an ABC Express run; no renewals allowed. There is a $0.50 per hour overdue fine on all journals for all patrons.
- Current (unbound) issues of journals must be requested on a "pink form." Ask for the form at the Library Service Desk.
For questions regarding ABC Express, contact Greg Beavers by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (828-262-2781).