What is ABC Express?
ABC (Asheville, Boone, Cullowhee) Express is a delivery service operated by the Western North Carolina Library Networdk (WNCLN) of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina University. If you need a book, journal, or other library material that is at UNC-Asheville or Western Carolina University libraries, ABC Express can usually have it here for you within 2-3 business days.
Please note, there could be possible delays due to holidays or inclement weather.
Who is eligible?
Students, faculty, and staff of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina University are eligible to use ABC Express. All other patrons should contact their public libraries.
How do I use ABC Express?
Follow these steps:
- Find the book/journal or film* in the online catalog and display the full record on the screen.
- Click on the "Request" button near the top of the screen.
- Enter name, ID number and pickup location, as prompted.
- Follow screen instructions to submit request.
*Only faculty are eligible to borrow DVD, films or videos on ABC Express. Due to consortia membership requirements, UNC-A faculty are not eligible to request SASASAAS films.
Is there a limit to the number of items I can request at one time?
Yes, the limit for active requests is ten (10) items. A request is active until the item is checked out to you or the request expires.
- Books, films, videos, and DVDs are held for 7 days at the Library Service Desk.
- The loan period for books is 3 weeks; renewals are allowed.
- The loan period for films/videos/DVDs is 7 days; no renewals allowed.
- Jounals: 48 hour use for faculty, staff, and students. Journals will be held at least 3 business days prior to being returned on an ABC Express run; no renewals allowed. There is a $0.50 per hour overdue fine on all journals for all patrons.
- Current (unbound) issues of journals must be requested on a "pink form." Ask for the form at the Library Service Desk.
- All patrons are responsible for overdue fines on ABC Express items.
For questions regarding ABC Express, contact Greg Beavers by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (828-262-2781).