What is interlibrary loan?
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a way for you to request items not held at ASU, UNCA, or WCU libraries. We use an online software system called ILLiad for our interlibrary loan service. There is no charge for this service. Delivery time for materials requested through interlibrary loan ranges from 2 days to 2 weeks. To avoid delays, please provide complete citation information.
Who is eligible?
Appalachian State University students, faculty, and staff may use the interlibrary loan service. Although this service is free for you to use, the library does incur costs when providing this service. Therefore, we ask that you request only those items that you will actually use.
How do I use the interlibrary loan service?
Log in to your ILLiad account and submit your request online. If you do not have an ILLiad account, there is a link on the login page telling you how to get an account. If you have questions about our interlibrary loan service, please contact the Document Delivery Office by email (email@example.com) or phone (828-262-2826).
How will I be notified?
You will be notified as follows:
- Photocopies of journal articles: They will be mailed directly to the address listed. They are yours to keep.
- Articles delivered via the Web: They will remain accessible to you for 15 days after notification has been sent to you of their arrival or until you delete the file, whichever occurs first.
- Articles requested from Ingenta: If you requested the article be faxed to the Library, it will be available for you to pick up at the library service desk 24 hours after your request. It will not be mailed to you nor will you receive a notification that it has arrived.
- Books/Microformats: When items arrive, you will be notified via your ASU email address and any email address you have added to your ILLiad account. Faculty have the option of having materials delivered to their departments.
Tip: Do not remove the yellow strap from the material. This is for your benefit, since when the item is returned, the strap alerts staff to the item's source and avoids accruing fines if the material does not make it back to the lending library on time.
What are the loan periods for ILL materials?
The loan periods for items request through ILL vary by the lending institution.
Can I renew ILL materials?
You may renew ILL materials one time. Contact the ILL Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (828-262-2826) at least 4 days prior to the due date on the purple strap.
Is there a limit to the number of items I can request at one time?
Yes, there is a limit to the number of active requests.
- Undergraduates and staff are limited to 10 active requests.
- Graduate students are limited to 20 active requests.
- Faculty are limited to 30 active requests.
A request is considered active on submission. A request for an article is no longer active once the item has been forwarded to you. A request for a book or other item checked out to you remains active until the item is returned.
What are the fines for overdue or lost items?
Overdue fines are $0.50 per day (maximum of $25). Recall fines are an additional $0.50 per day. Replacement fines vary by lending institution.