Residents, 18 years or older, of North Carolina; OR Part-time residents who own property in the following counties:
Appalachian State University alumni, regardless of place of residence.
The following are not eligible:
- Elementary and high school students
- Dependents of Appalachian State University employees
- Appalachian State University students while enrolled.
Proof of eligibility is required and is based on the following:
- Presentation of a valid North Carolina driver's license (or a valid North Carolina state issued picture ID); or,
- Presentation of a valid driver's license (or valid state issued picture ID) and a tax bill for property in one of the counties listed above.
- For alumni, presentation of a valid driver's license (or valid state issued picture ID) and verification of alumni status in the Alumni Directory .
An application card must be completed and submitted for approved. Cards are approved and issued by full-time staff during the following times:
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The cost of the card is $10.00 annually. Replacement cards are not issued. If your card is lost and you wish to continue to have privileges, you will be required to apply for a renewal and pay the $10.00 annual fee.
The card provides borrowing privileges for:
- Main Stacks
- Movies Collection
- Instructional Materials Center
- Appalachian Collection Stacks
- Music Library Stacks
- Government Documents
It does not include the following services:
- ABC Express
- Book a group study room or viewing room
- Interlibrary Loan
- Music Library sound recordings
- State adopted textbooks from the IMC
- Remote access to databases
Presentation of the community borrower card is required for all circulation desk transactions.
The person to whom the card is issued is responsible for its use, including any misuse. If your card is lost or stolen, you will be held responsible until it is reported to a full-time staff member.
See Loan Periods .
Cardholders are responsible for paying overdue fines, and replacement costs and associated fees for lost materials. Unpaid fines/fees are transferred to the Cashier's Office for collection. The University uses all possible means to collect overdue accounts, including:
- payroll deduction (if State employee)
- collection agencies
- income tax refund garnishing
Fines for most collections are $ .20 per day per item. Videos/DVDs accrue fines at the rate of $ .50 per day per item. Recalled items accrue higher fines per day. No fines are assessed if materials are returned within a grace period. If returned after a grace period is over, fines are retroactive to the first overdue day.
As a courtesy, 3 overdue notices are sent via email or mail. A block is place on any cardholder owing $25.00 or more.
For questions or additional information, contact:
Circulation: (828) 262-2818 P.O. Box 32026 Boone, NC 28608-2026
Circulation Services Manager: Jason Stamper email@example.com