See Also Thesis Research Assistance
Honors Thesis Binding Instructions
Belk Library retains one copy of each undergraduate honors thesis. The Library does not retain other types of undergraduate papers, such as independent studies or directed projects. Before an honors thesis is accepted for binding, the paper must be cleared by either the Heltzer Honors Program or the college or department where the student is receiving honors credit. The paper must conform to certain minimum standards in order to be accepted for binding. These standards include:
- The title page must be arranged in the prescribed manner with all the pertinent information included (see example). Theses with incomplete title pages will not be accepted for binding. It is the department's responsibility to be sure each thesis has a complete title page before it is released and conforms to all formatting requirements.
- The copy of the thesis sent to the library for binding should be on good quality paper. ASU watermark paper is recommended and may be purchased at the campus bookstore or is available (in packs of 25) from the Honors Office.
- The thesis should have at least a one-inch margin on the left side in order to be bound properly. Charts, graphs, photographs, and other illustrations should also have adequate margins. If materials such as maps, diskettes, or audio tapes need inclusion, arrangements can be made to have special enclosures made for these items.
- The student or his/her designee must call and make an appointment to deliver the thesis to the Heltzer Honors Programs Office, located in East Hall.
- The copy delivered to the Heltzer Honors Programs Office for binding must be loose pages, correctly collated in a box, manila envelope, or other protective enclosure. Do not use rubber bands, paper clips, grommets, spiral binders, or any method that requires punching holes in the paper.
- The library copy of the thesis is bound in brown with gold lettering. The charge for binding this copy is paid by the library. Additional copies will be bound identically to the library copy. Personal copies will be paid by the student at the University Cashiers Office in the John Thomas Building. A receipt from the Cashier's Office will be presented to the Honors Office as proof of payment for personal copies. If extra copies are to be mailed off campus and/or delivered to departments, a complete name, address, and phone number is to be provided at the time the thesis is delivered to the Honors Office.
- Academic departments or colleges desiring extra copies of a student's thesis may pay for these copies using their departmental budget code. Please have this budget code available for the Honors Office when the theses are delivered to the Honors Office.
Completed theses are delivered by the Honors Office to the Belk Library for binding. Binding shipments are every three weeks. The student will be notified when personal copies are ready. Personal copies will be picked up at the Honors Office. Belk Library will mail copies that need mailing and will send departmental copies via campus mail.
Additional questions may be referred to the Heltzer Honors Programs Office, 828-262-2083.
Graduate Student Thesis & Dissertation Binding Instructions
Important: Two copies on ASU waterbond thesis paper for official campus copies must be bound. It is strongly suggested that a third copy be bound for your Thesis Committee Chairperson. Any additional copies over three may be bound for personal copies.
- Each student is responsible for having copies of his/her thesis made. All copies must be in correct page order with completed signature pages. The Graduate School does not check page order.
- Go to the ASU Cashier's office, pay $9.00 per copy for all copies to be bound, and get a receipt
- Bring the cashier's receipt and the theses to be bound to the Graduate School.
- Provide the Graduate School with your permanent mailing address and phone number. Personal copies can be mailed to you at your expense or you can be notified when they are finished so that you can pick them up. (You need to complete only the Section 1 of the the form if you wish to pick up your copies. Personal copies of bound theses may be picked up between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.)
The official Appalachian State University thesis color is black with the spine lettered in gold. Spines are lettered with the title and the author's last name. Personal copies may be bound in other colors and do not have to be on waterbond thesis paper.
Shipments to and from the binder and the Library occur at three week intervals.
The Graduate School will distribute the official copies of the thesis to department chairs and thesis committee chairs.
Vivian Meadows, Graduate School, email@example.com, (828) 262-2175
Dan Kaple, University Libraries, Bibliographic Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, (828) 262-2772